Saturday, February 15, 2014

IN OTHER NEWS…

As per usual, I always seems to be trading something for something else or dismantling one guitar to build another. Gone is the LPB Tele… we just never bonded like I did with the IBM Tele. Many have commented on the "hideous shade of green" it is but I love it. Of all my efforts to recreate an authentic looking relic guitar, this one nails it. I even fooled my shop tech with it. The neck is big and fat and it just oozes real Tele tone.


The dismantling of the LPB Tele was to fund a little Jerry-inspired Start project. That deserves a post of it's own and I'll work on getting that together. Long before I unloaded the '81 Strat, I was still hankering for more of that 70's Fender juju. I found a screaming deal on a '79 Strat neck (with a nice fat profile) and mounted it to a rather unassuming MIM body, which I largely left stock. I did replace the middle pickup with an American Standard Strat pickup and added new caps but the rest is all stock MIM. I did add a "neck-on" toggle which I really like as a feature- the neck/bridge combo is a handy one. It sounds and plays incredible and so I'm leaving that one well enough alone. The neck had already been (successfully) converted to a 4-bolt, which no doubt had something to do with the fact i go tit on the cheap. I've seen other 4-bolt conversions which were terribly executed but this one is spot on. 


Hmm… what else has been going on here? Oh, the addition of a Derek Trucks tailpiece on my battered '61 RI SG. I added a "Les Paul" truss rod cover as well… neither were necessary but I think it looks pretty sweet. I don't know exactly what it is about this SG but I just love it… the stress cracks around the neck pocket are still holding their ground but as always, have me a little nervous. I'll play this one until it falls apart… she's definitely in the keeper category!



No comments:

Post a Comment